Wednesday 1 June 2011

IKEA and Me

As I mentioned before, last weekend was dedicated to furnishing our new house. Saturday was basically a reconnaissance mission, with Sunday being the day of major purchases. I tried my best not to buy everything at IKEA, I swear! But their fancy colours and unbeatable prices won over everything else. Plus, I didn't want to pay multiple delivery charges from different stores, so really it was the best option for the big items. 

Here's the abbreviated list of what I bought from IKEA:
-couch
-2 bed frames
-dining room table and chairs
-coffee table
-3 side tables
-4 lamps
-many pillows and blankets
-4 outdoor chairs
-various other small things

In addition to a trunk full of stuff, my delivery consisted of 23 items….gulp!

And this is what that looks like:



In all fairness, this is after I started assembling the couch.

So Monday was my IKEA delivery, and Tuesday my 2 mattresses got delivered (yes, I have a guest bed!). I spent both days assembling furniture. I know everyone is sick of hearing about IKEA, but man that stuff is awesome!! I was able to assemble everything all by myself with only two blisters! I still have the second bed frame left to go, but I'm saving that for tomorrow.

Today I didn't have any deliveries coming, but I hung out at the house anyways (I've been staying with Kelsey all week, and I'll stay there until Ryan gets back on Tuesday/Wednesday). It was finally a beautiful day so I basically just sat outside and read, then raked the lawn. Oh, then had a nap in the sun. Life is hard.

Tomorrow is our last delivery - the fridge and washing machine. Then the house will be almost complete. I'm hopefully going to get a barbecue this weekend! We still have to get our internet hooked up, a guy is coming to fix the front door, and an electrician has to come and fix the light that exploded during the house inspection (funny story...the sparks hit the inspector! Everyone is fine though.) Yesterday someone came to mow the lawn, which I wasn't expecting, so seems like the real estate agency is really on top of things. Should be a great year!

I know everyone is excited for more pictures, but I can't post the finished product yet - I want Ryan to be surprised. You'll just have to wait until next week, but believe me, you won't be disappointed!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the final results.-mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss our IKEA trips.... we will obvi have to go when u come back.... if your not sick of it yet!! xoxox -jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie, I'm enjoying your blog!!! Keep well Aussie girl - Suzanne R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that spare bed is for me when I come to visit! :) - Leanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't buy another nest, did you? And is there an Australian Tire near you? If so, life would indeed be complete!

    Bill and Sue

    ReplyDelete