Tuesday 14 June 2011

McLaren Vale Wineries

This past Sunday Kelsey, Justin, Ryan, and I took a drive to McLaren Vale to do some wine tasting. I know this sounds snobbish and not something I would usually do, but while the boys go for the wine I really just like the scenery. Also, that's what this region is famous for so I've got to start getting into it so when you all come visit I can pretend I know what I'm talking about!


Turns out that last weekend was the Sea and Vine Festival (where lots of people tour wineries on buses and get really drunk) so some of the places we had wanted to go to were booked and you needed tickets to get in. Consequently we did the "anti-festival" * tour of the places that were not involved in the festival. Despite that minor setback it was hilarious to watch all of the drunk people wandering around with empty or full wine glasses through the streets!

Our first stop was Lloyd Brothers Wine, where we basically just tasted olives. Since I don't like olives, I mostly focused on the olive oil. Next was Woodstock Wine Estates. They had a beautiful property with a restaurant and a petting zoo. Our goal was to have lunch there, but because of the festival that was pretty difficult. After a bit of a wait they gave us a great table. Food was delicious and there was a live jazz band which made it even better. Wine there wasn't too impressive though. The best part though was that I saw my first (captive) kangaroo in Australia and a WILD koala!!! Seeing a koala is pretty rare, so for us to see on in the first month is pretty awesome.




Third we went to Pertaringa Wines which was not very memorable, then we went to Fox Creek Wines. Fox Creek was a smaller place with two hilarious women running the tastings. That's where we met the "anti-festival" couple, met another couple moving to Ottawa shortly, and listened to Michael Buble. Good times were had by all! Also on the way there we saw these pretty vines. The leaves were off of most of the vines, but this one still had some nice ones.


Finally we spontaneously went to Leconfield Wines which turned out to be the best one. I actually found some wine there that I liked! Also it was nearing the end of the day, so I got these beautiful pictures.




Sorry for the long post, but it was a fun day! Also, we get internet on Thursday so I'll actually be able to post again!

*term coined by a couple we met from Sydney who were on the Sea and Vines Festival tour but didn't like it so decided to start their own "anti-festival" tour

2 comments:

  1. "a fun time was had by all" Too funny! Can't get your father's expression out of you all the way in Aussieland! Bet you are loving your new camera as your pictures are great. love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! It looks like a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete