Sunday 19 June 2011

Birds of Adelaide

As most of you know, I'm really not an avid bird watcher. In Canada I was bored to tears when anyone tried to tell me about any of the "interesting" birds they had seen, and there is no way I could tell you what any of them sound like...except maybe the seagull.

Well, I'm happy to say I've turned over a new leaf. Nothing like leaving home to get you interested in seemingly uninteresting things. That's not to say I'm going to become one of those crazy bird people (hopefully), but some of the birds here are really funny so I thought I'd share them with you. Little secret...I even bought a bird book!

I'll start with the cool ones, so those of you who only skim this blog can look at the pictures and ignore the rest.

Rainbow Lorikeet
These guys are everywhere! They especially seem to love the palm trees (I know - I still can't believe I live somewhere with palm trees and parrots!) They're really loud and you can't go far in Adelaide without seeing one - or a huge flock.


Galah
Another parrot, but I've only seen this one once.


Now to consult my bird book since I don't know the names of the rest…

Australian Pelican
I always see these on the jetties (piers) and they're massive! Pretty much the same as at home I think.


Crested Pigeon
I always laugh at their spiky head, but they're also everywhere in the suburb. Only slightly more exotic than the North American pigeon.


Noisy Miner
These guys are usually the ones to wake me up in the morning I think. They love the trees around my house. I think it's cool how yellow their beak and eyes are.


Australian Magpie
I put this one last because I hate it. Not because it's annoying, but because I think I've seen about 5 dead ones now. Not sure why they keep dying, but it's disgusting and freaks me out when I see them. They're also huge and everywhere.


So there you have it. These are the birds that I see every day. Kinda fun when it's all new, but not sure I would care if someone posted pictures of robins and blackbirds if roles were reversed.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously NOW you start bird watching....love Mom

    ReplyDelete