Sunday 29 May 2011

Hahndorf in the Rain

During my earlier posts, I forgot to write about our trip to Hahndorf last Saturday. Hahndorf is a little German town in the hills east of Adelaide (point A).



It's fall here, so the streets were lined with yellow trees, and naturally it was pouring rain. Once we got there, we actually went into a place that had a wood stove burning for a coffee to warm up! The town was nice, but we didn't really walk around because of the rain. I'll definitely go back in better weather. (Disclaimer: the storm wasn't that bad by Canadian standards, but they closed down one of the piers on the beach because of storm damage)

Next we stopped at Beerenburg Farms, which is a place that makes jams and sauces. Pretty nice, but we were disappointed by the lack of free samples.

Our final destination was Chain of Ponds Winery (point B on the map). After a lot of windy roads (and me switching to the front seat because I get carsick) we finally made it. The drive was really beautiful, but no pictures, sorry. I've never been to a vineyard or a wine tasting before, but I'll certainly go to more! The property was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately these are the only pictures I have, but they don't do it justice.




After delicious food and wine, and another warm fire, we headed home.

Another picture I forgot that I took was the sunset on day 1.




And here are some pictures Ryan sent me from his work on the rig:






2 comments:

  1. What kind of trees are those? Lemon??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either lemon or orange...not sure...it was raining too hard to go look. I only took the picture since I have a cool new waterproof camera! Doesn't stop water drops from getting on the lens though.

    ReplyDelete