Thursday 14 July 2011

Bird Update

On our trip to Victor Harbor we saw a few new and really pretty birds, so I thought I'd update the bird list.    Enjoy!

Little Penguin and Silver Gull
These are the smallest penguins in the world.  It's hard to tell, but their feathers are actually pretty blue.  The gull is basically the same as in Canada.  I took this picture.


Pied Cormorant
These guys were just hanging out on Granite Island.  Ryan took this picture.


Crimson Rosella
This guy flew right in front of the car while we were driving, so we didn't get a great look at it.  It's the only red and blue parrot in the book though, and very common to our region.


Little Corella
aka Wild Cocatoo.  A whole flock of these flew in front of the car.

Superb Fairy-wren
This guy was pretty cool, and we saw him in a parking lot so we got a really good look at him.  Just saw a flash of blue in the bushes and whipped out the bird book!

Wedge-tailed Eagle
I haven't seen one of these yet, but Ryan saw one at work.  They're gigantic!  They have a wingspan of up to 2.2m and a body length of 1m.  Consequently they are the largest bird of prey in Australia, and one of the largest in the world.


Emu
Ryan has fun bugging the emus at work.  Again, I haven't seen one, but he said they like to chase you if you turn  your back on them, so watch out!  I have a hunch that will be Ryan's workplace injury.


New Holland Honeyeater
These guys hang out in the backyard here, and I just forgot to put it in my first post about birds.


House Sparrow
Same with these guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment