Monday 3 October 2011

Fishing on West Beach

Sorry to interrupt the tales of our WA adventure, but yesterday I went fishing with our neighbours and I thought I would tell you about it.

Our neighbours Bec and Lee really like fishing and are familiar with the area, so I was super excited to go with them.  We went to West Beach which is just a few kilometers south of where I live, and where a river meets the ocean.  They had never tried there before, but had heard it was a good spot. 

The concept of fishing off of a beach is really foreign to me.  My understanding of fishing is that you need semi-deep water, a flashy lour, and maybe a vessel or dock to get you to a good place.  This experience broke through all of those barriers and now I feel like I could fish anywhere!  It was quite simple really; we had a sinker that we covered with some fish attracting sand-like substance, then two hooks further up the line with pieces of squid on them.  We cast straight out into the ocean, then waited for bites!  Amazingly, this was a successful formula.  Lee caught a puffer fish almost immediately.

Note simplicity of fishing contraption.

Unfortunately they are poisonous and we had to throw it back, but it at least showed that the new location wasn't a dud.  About an hour later Lee caught a second puffer fish, further increasing our optimism.  It was fairly low tide and good fishing is supposed to be as the tide is coming in, so we expected our luck to improve.  In reality it just got colder, windier, and we caught tons of seaweed as the tide washed it in.

I had lots of bites, but no takers.

Just as we were packing it in, Lee caught a third puffer fish!  Overall  it was a fun first fishing experience in Australia, even if it wasn't exactly successful.  We ended off the evening showing off our beer can chicken skills to yet another curious pair, so it was an excellent end to the day.  (Cooking tip: Dr. Pepper tastes exactly the same as Guinness when shoved up the rear of a chicken!)

In other news, I've been sick for the past day and tomorrow is Ryan's last day home.  Don't get your hopes up for another post tomorrow, but I'll be back promptly on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment