Friday 21 October 2011

Adelaide CheeseFest


Last Saturday, for lack of anything else to do, I decided to venture over to CheeseFest in downtown Adelaide.  It wasn't particularly exciting, but still worth a mention as part of my adventures here. 

The main attractions for me were the cooking demonstrations happening all afternoon.  I know this makes me sound like I'm some chef now, but actually it seems like Australia is really obsessed with cooking shows so chefs are a main part of the country's celebrities.  I watched 3 demonstrations while I was there.  The first was Adam Swanson who is regularly on the TV show "Ready, Steady, Cook" but who is also the spokesperson for a pasta company here called San Remo.  I'm sure he is a good cook, but his crew was super annoying and they had a camera man standing RIGHT in front of him the entire time so you couldn't really see what he was doing.

Adam Swanson

Next was Simon Bryant who also does tons of TV appearances.  He had a motorcycle vibe to him and he was absolutely hilarious.  His demonstration was partly about cheese-making, so it was pretty interesting.  That demonstration had a huge turnout unlike the other ones.  Also none of the other chefs had huge obnoxious crews which made the whole thing much better.

Simon Bryant

And finally I saw Callum Hann, who was the runner up on the second season of MasterChef (last year's season, but I'm working my way through watching it now).  His demonstration was the best because he actually made food I would eat, and he was also pretty funny.  I got to try his no-bake "cheesecake" that he made and it was delicious.  They said they would post the recipes online so I didn't write it down, but I haven't been able to find them yet unfortunately.

Callum Hann

After the cooking demonstrations I just walked around and sampled a bunch of free cheese and wine, so it was a nice end to the whole affair.  They gave me a commemorative wine tasting glass which reminded me a lot of WineFest in Germany.  I guess I'm starting a collection!  Overall, it was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment