Wednesday 10 August 2011

Port Adelaide

Recently I've been trying to explore a little bit more of the Adelaide area, so on Sunday I ventured to Port Adelaide.


As you can see, it's connected to the ocean by a river, and from what I understand it's where a bunch of fishing boats come in.  I was expecting a quaint little harbour town, but that really wasn't what it was at all.  I also found out that they have a market there every Sunday, so I thought that would give me a good backup plan in case the town was a let down.  When I arrived I went to the tourist information centre and they informed me that they have dolphin river cruises for only $6, so naturally that's exactly what I did! 

While waiting for the cruise to start I actually saw a few dolphins from shore  One came up to within 6 feet of me which was pretty cool.  Anyways, the cruise was kind of ridiculous and I couldn't stop giggling to myself at the funny situation.  Basically we just cruised up to where the river met the ocean and turned around, which took 2 hours.  The funny parts were that we only saw a few dolphins, it was pouring rain for parts of it, and the "scenery" was factories and power plants.  It was worth $6, but not much more! 


View of Port Adelaide from the boat (lighthouse and market building)



Not a great picture, but proof I saw dolphins


Overall, I pretty much have fun no matter what I'm doing so it was a good day.  I also met a German girl from a small town in Bavaria so we chatted for the 2 hours while trying to stay warm and dry. 

Over the past few days I've occupied most of my time with expanding my cooking repertoire.  I have made 2 batches of homemade pasta (pumpkin tortellini, spaghetti and linguini) and a batch of homemade gnocchi.  Gnocchi is seriously the easiest thing to make EVER so if you want a recipe, let me know!  Pasta isn't hard either, but requires a pasta machine and infinite amounts of patience (if you're hand folding dozens of tortellini that is…) 

Since yesterday was my birthday, I took the day off and didn't cook or clean at all (woo!) and went shopping downtown instead!  I also went to a sculpt workout class down the street for the first time and since I haven't exercised in 3 months I'm really feeling it today.  Kelsey and I went out for dinner and she made me delicious chocolate cake, so it was a pretty awesome day.  Today I'm sitting outside sweating in a tank top, in the middle of winter, on a "rainy" day with not a cloud in the sky.   Ryan comes home today, then we're off to the Gold Coast from Sunday to Wednesday, so all in all I'm pretty darn lucky to be me.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, homemade gnocchi sounds excellent. It also made me think of a blog you might enjoy - www.closetcooking.com - check it out if you're looking for new recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete