Thursday 4 August 2011

Hallett Cove

When I was working at the university last week, I sat through an architecture class.  While the class wasn't particularly interesting, I learned that their project for the year was to design a house for an ornithologist (bird watcher) and they were taking a trip to the design site the next week.  The prof showed a bunch of pictures and said they could get there by the city train, so I decided that one day I would go there because it looked really cool.  Thus begins my adventure on Wednesday to Hallett Cove Conservation Park.


First, it took me an hour and a half to get there by public transit (which in all fairness was pretty good considering how far it was).  The bus/train ride was fairly uneventful, except for a few times I said to myself "what the heck am I doing!?" or "this had better be worth it!"  Also remember, I really didn't know where I was going except that an entire class was getting there by train so I assumed it couldn't be that bad.  After wandering around for awhile, I finally found a sign for the conservation park.  At first I was thoroughly disappointed because it looked like this:


But then I remembered the cliffs from the lecture and decided to be optimistic.  It was actually way cooler than I had expected.  Unfortunately by the time I got there it was no longer sunny and even rained a bit, but it's not like I had anything better to do!  There were lots of well maintained trails and boardwalks and a bunch of interpretive signs (which I never have the patience to read) so it was worth the bus ride.  That said, I probably wouldn't take visitors there.

On one side there was this (which they called the amphitheatre and the sign had a bunch of geology stuff on it)...


on the other side was this...


then there was all of this in between.




I saw a few new birds, but I couldn't identify them fast enough before they flew away.  Also, I heard some awesome frogs croaking but I couldn't for the life of me see them.  I did record them for your listening pleasure though!


Overall it was a pretty fun adventure.  On the way home I stopped in Glenelg for a few hours and made it home exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment