Wednesday 19 September 2012

Home to Canada for a Visit - Part 1 (Sept. 6-19, 2012)

Wow it's nice to be home.  We've lived in Australia for 15 months, which isn't really that long, but I was starting to pine for something familiar.  It's not so much the friends and family that I miss (no offense, but with technology these days it's not hard to keep in touch), but the familiar scenery, stores, and towns are all a welcome site.

Ryan and I started our first few days in Georgetown, where we couldn't believe how green everything was despite the dry summer.

On a walk near Ryan's house in Georgetown.

Our 24 hour flight was very successful, but the jet-lag hit us harder than we expected.  It took me at least a week to have a full night sleep, and even longer to not be drowsy during the day.  Despite that, we had an awesome time at my friend Cassie's wedding the first weekend we were home.  

My childhood friends, all grown up.

Then we went to a great afternoon barbeque with Ryan's extended family before I headed off to Owen Sound to see my parents.

The next few days were full of preparing for my brother's upcoming wedding.  We didn't really help with wedding stuff, but we had to plan and prepare food for the rehearsal dinner.  The best part was going to the Keady Farmer's Market and seeing all of the fall produce.



Then, before we knew it, we were headed to Belleville with two carloads full of stuff to see my brother get married.  I had forgotten that we have such huge highways in Canada.  They just don't make 'em like that in Australia!


The rehearsal and the dinner went smoothly, and after checking into the hotel and settling into bed, the hallway suddenly got very loud with Wasylyk voices.  Of course that signalled the arrival of a few more Wasylyk families - with Jell-O shots!  It was an awesome way to celebrate seeing everyone again after such a long time.

The morning of the wedding we were all quite relaxed.  I went for a swim with my cousins in the hotel pool, and everyone just relaxed until it was time to go to the church.  My brother Steven was very calm and upbeat (or at least he was pretending) and Michelle (my new sister-in-law!) was absolutely stunning.  My sister Jillian was a bridesmaid, and her and the rest of the wedding party were the icing on the cake.  I can't say enough about how beautiful the wedding was.  It was the first Wasylyk wedding, so it set the bar pretty high!


Meet the Wasylyks

The reception was also flawless.  It was awesome to hang out with all of my cousins and dance all night, and I think everyone had an amazing time.  I know Steven and Michelle did!

Now I'm back in Owen Sound enjoying a few final days at my parent's beautiful house before I bring them to the airport and start the "friend" portion of my Canada visit.  The first two weeks were mostly about family, but I still have a lot of people to see and there's a lot more fun to be had!

Oh, and I'm loving my new camera :)

No comments:

Post a Comment