Friday 9 December 2011

Code Red (Take 2)


Today at work we had yet another day of excitement, with my second code red lightning storm.  Some people have been up here for almost a year and have never experienced one, so I count myself (un?)lucky.  This lightning storm was way more fun than the first one, mainly because I didn't have a plane to catch.  It also came in much quicker,  but consequently it left quicker than the last one.  All up we were only in lockdown for 1.5 hours instead of 4.5 hours.  Also, this time my camera was working so I got some pictures of the action.  Enjoy!

The storm moving in over the village.  This is when we got the code yellow, which means "prepare for code red".

Code Red!

The storm is right over us, heading for the mine.  Still no rain...

Massive downpour!  Shortly after this the storm got to the mine and we got a great show of lightning.
Two quick updates:

  1. I now have internet at work through my phone!  Hopefully I'll be able to post once in awhile, but only if something interesting happens or I get some good pictures.
  2. They now have bananas at work!  For those of you who don't know, bananas were averaging $18/kg when we got to Australia in May because of a flood that knocked down all of the banana trees.  Recently I've seen them on sale for between $3-$7/kg which is why work is now supplying them.  Very exciting for me!  Now I can eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches and freak out the Australians who think they're disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment