Thursday 8 September 2011

KI: Little Sahara

Little Sahara was the second major stop on our trip, and probably my favourite stop.  I've always been fascinated by sand dunes (like desert size ones) so I was really excited to go here.  I had absolutely no idea how cool it would actually be!  Here you are, on a small island covered in lush shrubs and trees, and there is this massive sand dune!  I really can't convey how strange it was.  Anyways, I read that you could "toboggan" (or "snow"board )down them by renting sand boards.  I hate tobogganing and Ryan was on the fence about the whole thing, but we both decided to suck it up and have the super unique experience.  I am so glad we did!  The pictures will speak for themselves, but it was crazy fun and I found sand in my ears still 2 days later.   I put us in all of the pictures to try and convey scale.  The dunes were gigantic!




The unflattering facial expressions are me realizing that screaming with your mouth open is a terrible idea with sand flying at you!


So much sand on our faces!  I should NOT have put sticky sunscreen on before this event.


See how abrupt the contrast is between desert dunes and green pastures?  Weird!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome journals, Stephanie! Keep them coming! Suzanne R.

    ReplyDelete